Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New Technology: Endless Possibilities

Endless forms are possible with the help of 3D digital modeling programs (3ds Max and Rhino)....powerful tools such as a CNC router.  I was lucky enough to explore digital fabrication in my materiality class last year. I created a digital model in Rhino, and laminated several pieces of plywood together and routed my file on the CNC router to create a mold, poured concrete and bammmm...I got some pretty interesting textures. See below for photos, I created cubes using this texture + acrylic.
Gleam by Columbia University GSAPP & Avery Digital Fabrication Laboratory
Plays with visual distortion and varying transparency. 
Process work of the form.

jmalnick cube 1-one side



j.malnick cube 2

jmalnick cube 2 opposite side
j.malnick Cube 1- opposite side

No comments:

Post a Comment